Sunday, January 8, 2012


Today was such a fantastic adventurous day!

It started off with some great conversation with my brother as we both caught a train into the city. We split off at Penn Station so he could catch a bus back to U Penn and I could go audition for a production of The Vagina Monologues.


I got there a bit early so I wandered around the Upper West Side searching for a bite to eat. Even better - I found a flea market on Columbus and 76th! I found so many cute antiques and such and it was absolutely delightful. I didn't buy anything, but the flea market is there every Sunday, and I'm sure I'll be stopping back after some upcoming rehearsals. The most delicious smelling old books, fantastic wooden holder thingies, colorful old brooches... I was in heaven! While I managed to keep my wallet in my bag for the most part, I did get some delicious spanakopita and a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie - sugar and butter free, and absolutely tasty! I definitely hope that woman is regular vendor there because I want to learn all about the magic tricks she uses to bake these cookies.

The auditions themselves were so wonderful! This will be my seventh year involved with V-Day, the organization behind The Vagina Monologues that focuses on ending violence against women and girls. This year I'll be involved with the production by the Fourth Unitarian Universalist Society. What a wonderful group of women! I'm so excited to have the opportunity to be part of this community and this experience.


After the auditions and a sharing circle (that touchy-feely stuff is one of my favorite things about being involved with The Vagina Monologues!) I went back to the flea market and I bought the cutest red sweater skirt for $2. Such an awesome find!

I happily trotted back to the C train...but wait, the fun doesn't stop there! I got myself a strawberry beet smoothie for the train ride back home. AND THEN, I spent the train ride listening to the best pod cast ever.


That's right! The lovelies at Stuff Mom Never Told You (Whaaaaat? You've never heard of SMNTY? Where have you been? What are you doing for entertainment? You need to go download their podcast as soon as possible. You will thank me. I promise.) did an episode on the history of thong underwear. Fascinating stuff.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the makings of a perfect Sunday. Siblings, flea markets, delicious healthy cookies, thrifted clothes, and the history of wedgie-inducing underpants. Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment