Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Male Models

Today is a big day. Three years ago on January 11, my life changed. At the time it was for the worse, but now I choose to believe it's for the better. I'm a stronger person, not only for myself, but for those around me.

I spent my last couple of anniversaries trying to distract myself and crying a lot. This year, it's pretty much a normal day.

Except I wrote. And I wrote with intention. And that was how I reclaimed this day.

This morning I posted the first piece on MasculinityU, an initiative geared towards engaging young men in redefining masculinity and encouraging them to take an equal role in ending gender based violence. You might wonder what I, as a woman, am doing writing for MasculinityU, and when founders Sacchi and Marc first asked me to write for them I had the same thought. But I figured out how to contribute in a meaningful way with my new column, Male Models. Every week I'll be spotlighting a lovely gentleman who is helping to end gender based violence in his own way. 

I'm really excited about it! You can follow along here every week.




No comments:

Post a Comment