Sunday, January 1, 2012

(c) Amy Rubin Flett - Pinwheel Designs
It's a new year and it's time to bring the blog back!

I started Crafts Service a long time ago with the idea of blogging about crafting, community service, and food...and it never really worked out. I mostly blogged about my life and musings. It sometimes, but rarely touched on the three...Which is fine, but not what I had intended. And that's part of the reason why I'm resurrecting this blog. Intention.

Scrapbooker Ali Edwards has a concept of one little word - each year, picking a word to be your catalyst. For 2012, I pick
in·ten·tion \in-ˈten(t)-shən\
1: a determination to act in a certain way
2: the product of attention directed to an object of knowledge
This year I want my actions to be more focused, more purposeful...especially in regards to crafting, community service, and nourishment - not only for my body, but also my mind and soul - and I have some resolutions for each.

Crafting:
I've been a paper crafter for a few years now, and I want to continue learning and growing as an artist.
This year...

  • All of my gifts will have a handmade element, even if it's just a cute tag or a beautifully addressed envelope.
  • I will organize my crafting supplies. Because I don't have a lot of space, everything gets packed away and I barely even remember what I have. I want to fix that system, not only to have things in order, but also to have them accessible.
  • I will continue with 52 Weeks of Mail - sending at least one card or package every week.

Service:
After finishing up my AmeriCorps terms, I've definitely had a lack of service in my life, and I need it back!
This year...

  • I'm working with the Interfaith Youth Core as a member of their Alumni Speakers Bureau, helping to spread the awesomeness of interfaith community service. As in the past, I want to put a lot of thought and work into my speaking engagements.
  • I'm blogging at Masculinity U, an initiative started by some friends of mine geared toward engaging young men in redefining masculinity and encouraging them in taking an equal role in ending gender violence. I wasn't quite sure how my voice would fit when they asked me to write for them, but I decided to take on a column applauding real men on the work they have done towards ending gender violence.

Nourishment:
I've definitely neglected feeding my body and my mind recently.
This year...

  • I will be more mindful of my food choices. I have no intention of cutting out things I love, but I want to make healthier choices that I still enjoy. I plan to cook more. I will drink more water and less of other junk.
  • I will move more. I'm not going to be concerned with keeping up a gym schedule, and I may just cancel my gym membership altogether because, let's be honest, I'm not really using it. What I do want to do is be more active. I want to stretch. I want to want to move. I want it to feel good. Losing weight will, I'm sure, be a bonus, but it's not my immediate goal. I found the Couch to 5K program, which I think is perfect for me - I even found a treadmill version, which will probably come in handy this winter.
  • I will remain active with my Move More, Eat Well challenge. I think having a community will keep me going, and documenting my journey will keep me accountable.
  • I will read more. I think I say this every year, but this time I really do have more time and no excuse not to. After college, I've found that fiction doesn't really appeal to me anymore, but that's not reason to not enjoy the wonderful work of nonfiction! Thanks to a friend, I've joined an interfaith book club and I think it's a great way to start the year.
It's going to be a good year. I can feel it! I hope you'll follow along!

No comments:

Post a Comment