Friday, January 22, 2010

Blog for Choice

Today is the 37th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, and the 5th Annual Blog for Choice Day. This year's question, as posed by NARAL, is What does Trust Women mean to you?,in reference to the pin that Dr. Tiller often wore.



Abortion aside, choice is something that is very important to me. I like knowing that I am in charge of my life, both in the moment and in terms of my future path.

I've made a lot of choices in recent years. I chose to go to Syracuse University, where I chose to major in International Relations and Political Science, and I chose to be involved with Res Life, The Vagina Monologues, Alpha Phi Omega, and Habitat. I have chosen to have long hair, to have six piercings in my ears, and to wear contact lenses. And I made all of those choices because someone let me.

Why was I allowed? Because I was trusted to do what was right for my own life. Did I make mistakes? Hell yes! But my decisions were respected. The respect from my family, my friends, my society, and my government gave me the opportunity to paint my own picture.

As an adult, I am respected enough to be able to choose my own career, car, home. And I am glad that right now my decisions about my body are respected. It says that I am acknowledged as an intelligent person, one with the ability to understand my situation and choose the best path.

I am very confident in my own decision making skills. I think I'm able to look at my own situation, understand the problem and possible solutions, and choose the best course of action.

So what does it mean when people try to restrict access to abortion? It means they don't trust us, which means they don't respect our intelligence and our ability to do the right thing. And that makes me angry.

To trust us is to respect us, to let us make the decisions about our own lives, to let us choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment