Thursday, September 17, 2009

Squee for Glee!

Last night I was watching Glee when my roommate Katie asked me if I had done anything like that when I was in high school.  I wish!  While our chorus program did occasionally utilize chairs and props and awkward dance moves, it was by no means a show choir.  Still, we did have a very active theatre program that occupied the lives of my circle of friends.

Glee provides just a touch of nostalgia for those hours upon hours of rehearsals.  Devoting all of our time, against our parents' better judgement, to entertaining the masses and, more importantly, feeding our passion for the art.

I look at the character of Rachel Berry, a nutty young woman with a burning desire to become a star, and I think we're all a little bit like her, wanting a touch of spotlight, to be recognized for our talents.

And I see Finn Hudson, quarterback fo the football team, struggling to balance his talent and love for performing with survivng high school.  We're all like him too, trying to make it work without completely losing touch of what we want to be. 

And that's why Glee is such an attractive show.  It doesn't feature characters that we want to be, but rather characters that we already are.

Plus, they do a lot of really kickass stuff. 

I disapprove of Kanye's big head as much as the next girl, but the show's rendition of "Gold Digger" was nothing short of fabulous.  And Rachel's outburst at the Chastity Club about girls wanting sex just as much as boys was a definitive "Get it!" moment.

I'm excited for the season ahead, for the opportunity to live vicariously through the group's struggles and successes, to rock out to their numbers, and to squee at the screen when Finn finally realizes that Rachel really is a lot cooler than his cheerleader girlfriend.

2 comments:

  1. Glee provides me with a touch of nausea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 7th grade I was a captain on the football team and I sang in the choir. Not to mention my voice had not changed so I was a boy soprano AND had this squeaky ass voice while leading warmups for football.

    It is obvious that I decided to continue with music instead of football. I actually really like football but music and performing allowed me to express myself better.

    I LOVE GLEE.

    ReplyDelete