Thursday, November 26, 2009

I'm Bound To Thank You For It

I love Thanksgiving!  In theory, it's my favorite holiday.  Everyone you love all together in one room with lots of food and thankful spirit...what could be better?

I say "in theory" because life really isn't in my hands, and that includes Thanksgiving day being somewhat out of my control.  This year my mom is in India for Thanksgiving.  My twin cousin (we're just a few months apart) and her parents are in Chicago visiting her brother.  All of my friends are scattered across the country.  My aunt who is hosting Thanksgiving is doing all of the cooking.  So today, I won't exactly be with everyone I love, and I have no idea what's on the menu for dinner, and I have zero control over people's thankfulness.

But it really doesn't matter.  I can always dream of the day when all of my family and friends are gathered around an enormous feast talking about all of the great things in our lives.  None of that changes the fact that I have so much to be thankful for in my life right now.

I am thankful for my college degree.  For my brother and my parents.  For all of my friends, near and far.  For my job as an AmeriCorps with Habitat for Humanity.  For my faith and spirituality.  For all of the luxury I have in my life.  For scrapbooking, and books, and podcasts, and Hulu. 

There is just so much that we all have in our lives that we take for granted.  And it's hard to put it all into perspective and humbly be grateful for it all.  But I'm glad that we have a day designated for it.  Thanksgiving seems to be dwindling a little in our culture, becoming more about the Macy's parade, or the turkey, or football, or the sales that are just a few hours away... but I'm trying my best to make thankfulness the central conviction of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment