Monday, October 19, 2009

Love Your Body, Ladies!




Today is the National Organization for Women's 12th Annual Love Your Body Day!  According to NOW's website, "Print ads and television commercials reduce us to body parts -- lips, legs, breasts -- airbrushed and touched up to meet impossible standards. TV shows tell women and teenage girls that cosmetic surgery is good for self-esteem. Is it any wonder that 80% of U.S. women are dissatisfied with their appearance?"

I usually hate my body.  I hate my nose; I think it's too bulbous.  My shoulders are too wide.  My arms are too flabby.  My boobs are too big.   My tummy sticks out too much.  I have love handles.  I have stretch marks.  My thighs more than touch.  I'm too hairy.  I hate my body.  Why?  Because someone told me that big noses, wide shoulders, flabby arms, shirts that don't fit, paunches, spare tires, uneven skin tone, thick thighs, and body hair aren't pretty.

But today, I love my body.  Today I choose to believe the random strangers, the ex boyfriends, and my best friend's sister-in-law's best friend: the people who told me that I am beautiful.  Because when it comes down to it, I am.  I love me and it doesn't matter that Ralph Lauren doesn't.

I admit that I'm about to go put on pants that make me look thinner, a black shirt that hides my bulge, tall red heels, and a fair amount of makeup.  But I understand why, and I know that with or without all of that I love me, I am proud of me, and I love my body!

So, ladies, take some time to love your body today.  And gentlemen, tell a girl in your life that you think she's beautiful.  It makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment