Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning." - Albert Camus

Well...it finally seems to be real!  In less than a week I will officially be filling out my final paperwork and I will be an AmeriCorps National Direct Volunteer.

It's been an interesting journey getting here, and I'm sure it'll be an even better one in the coming year.

I feel as though the AmeriCorps programs are tragically unknown by the American public, which is sad.  It's most easily described as a kind of domestic PeaceCorps.  I hadn't even heard of AmeriCorps until I went on my first Habitat for Humanity trip in 2007 and met a few AmeriCorps volunteers during my short stay at Camp Hope just outside of New Orleans.  Through my various experiences with Habitat for Humanity in college, I met many different kinds of AmeriCorps volunteers: Volunteers in Service to America (VISTAs- volunteers working with rising nonprofits and local government agencies to help fight poverty), National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC- volunteers working on a team on several short-term projects),  and AmeriCorps National Direct (which, according to the AmeriCorps website, engages its members "in direct service and capacity-building to address unmet community needs,").  It was my conversations with them that solidified my decision to serve as an AmeriCorps volunteer.

During my Senior year of college, I felt surrounded by curious adults asking me what my plans for the future were and telling me that they weren't envious of the fact that I was about to graduate into a terrible job market.  I had thought about grad school, but didn't really know what I wanted to study.  I had applied for a few jobs, and even found a company that I loved that loved me back, but they couldn't hire me due to the economic downturn.  I began to think more and more about AmeriCorps, and by the time my semester break rolled around, I was sure that it was the option for me.  I applied for NCCC and for several National Direct and VISTA positions.  In the end, I found myself with three choices: a VISTA position with Habitat of Syracuse, a spot on an NCCC team based in Mississippi, and the position I ultimately chose: a National Direct job with Volunteer Services, Community Relations, and Faith Outreach at Habitat for Humanity of Suffolk.

I applied for the position because, on paper, it seemed perfect for me.  It was based on Long Island, where my family lives, giving me the opportunity not just a community, but actually my own.  It featured the ability to work with people face to face.  And one of the features was working with faith communities.  With interfaith plurality being an issue very close to my heart, I knew that this was the one for me. 

Living not too far from the office, I've had the opportunity to observe the affiliate before my term.  After just a couple of months, I know that this position and this affiliate are exactly where I want to be.  This office is exemplary of the true compassion that Habitat for Humanity was built on.  The love shared between the staff, volunteers, homesteaders, and homeowners is absolutely incredible, and I am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of it.  I get to spend the next year helping people to help people, building my community, giving deserving families a hand up.  And I couldn't be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment